Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Another Surgery for Nikita

Another 2 growth removals on my boy...what is this? The 20th surgery?? ...and dental, pedi, laser treatment for pain, 6mt supply heartgard for both pups...but he and my vet are worth every penny. Long day ahead with recovery...

As many times as we have had to go through this with Nikita, it never gets routine...


 
After about the 10th operation, one of my friends suggested "Don't you think it's time to put him down? He is costing you a small fortune" Of course I disagreed. He rescued me far more than I rescued him, and as a responsible owner, when I took him on, with that, came a commitment to him. So we remove these growths, common to the GSD breed, when not removing them jeopardizes his future health. We deal with it and cut back in other, less important, financial areas.

He has Dysplasia too, of both his hips and elbows, and we are managing it, but when he gets to the point where simple management is no longer working, then yes, the time will come...but not now... he'll be 6yrs old in Feb...he has a whole lot of pain-free living to do. Him and I, kindred spirits.

UPDATE: When I picked him up from the vet, found out that the growth on his left shoulder looked suspicious. Not a cyst or a pimple or ingrown hair. We won't find out until late next week, due to the holiday. Hoping for the best for this most precious canine.

No comments:

Post a Comment